Hendrick Engines Lead Field in MIS Practiceby Kyle Pokrefky June 13, 2014
Photo Credit: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
BROOKLYN, Mich. — Hendrick Motorsports powered cars swept the top-four positions in today’s practice for the Quicken Loans 400 with Kasey Kahne (Hendrick Motorsports) leading the way with a lap of 35.410 seconds in the race weekend’s 80-minute opening practice.
A total of seven Hendrick-powered cars made their way into the top-10 as well as one Earnhardt-Childress powered car – making for a total of eight Chevrolets in the top-10 of the opening practice. Brad Keselowski (Team Penske) and Marcos Ambrose (Richard Petty Motorsports) were the only two non-Chevrolet drivers to make their way into the top-10 – Keselowski being the quicker of the two with his lap of 35.706 seconds, quick enough for eighth. No Toyota would crack the top-10, Denny Hamlin (Joe Gibbs Racing) would turn in the fastest lap in a Camry with a lap of 35.848 seconds, placing him 13th on the speedchart.
Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Hendrick Motorsports) was the only driver to get within a tenth of Kahne’s time. Earnhardt would run a lap of 35.478 seconds, 68-hundredths of a second off of his teammate’s session-pacing lap. The rest of the Hendrick Motorsports stable would finish the session in the top-10 with Jeff Gordon running the seventh-fastest time of the day and Jimmie Johnson running ninth-quickest.
Stewart-Haas Racing teammates Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick would make it into the top-five of the session with Busch posting the third quickest time and Harvick finishing right behind his teammate in fourth. The other two SHR drivers – Danica Patrick and Tony Stewart – also posted top-20 times.
Austin Dillon (Richard Childress Racing) by far was the fastest rookie in the session, running the fifth-fastest time with his lap of 35.666 seconds. The next fastest rookie of the session was Kyle Larson (Chip Ganassi Racing) who ran the 24th-fastest time of the day. Dillon was the only Earnhardt-Childress powered Chevrolet to make it into the top-10.
Juan Pablo Montoya (Team Penske) ran a total of 10 laps in his first official practice session in a Sprint Cup Series car since November of last year. Montoya would only manage to run the 37th-fastest lap with his lap of 36.622 seconds – 1.2 seconds off of the fastest time of the day.
Top-10 First Practice Speeds for the Quicken Loans 400
- 5 – Kasey Kahne – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 35.410 seconds | Leader
- 88 – Dale Earnhardt Jr. – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 35.478 seconds | -0.068
- 41 – Kurt Busch – Chevrolet – Stewart-Haas Racing – 35.524 seconds | -0.114
- 4 – Kevin Harvick – Chevrolet – Stewart-Haas Racing – 35.584 seconds | -0.174
- 3 – Austin Dillon# – Chevrolet – Richard Childress Racing – 35.666 seconds | -0.256
- 1 – Jamie McMurray – Chevrolet – Chip Ganassi Racing – 35.697 seconds | -0.287
- 24 – Jeff Gordon – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 35.705 seconds | -0.295
- 2 – Brad Keselowski – Ford – Team Penske – 35.706 seconds | -0.296
- 48 – Jimmie Johnson – Chevrolet – Hendrick Motorsports – 35.778 seconds | -0.368
- 9 – Marcos Ambrose – Ford – Richard Petty Motorsports – 35.796 seconds | -0.386
# = Rookie.